Thursday, December 9, 2010

Skiing with Izzy

I grew up ski racing with a girl named Izzy Lynch. For a while there we lived together, ate together, skied together, worked out together, partied together..... etc (you get the idea). She weighs in at about 125, is cute as a button and has a killer six pack. All of our racing career she was the crazy one. The type of girl who would either win or explode out of the course, equipment flying in every direction. After she retired from ski racing she went to University, got a degree, travelled to far ends of the earth and ended up in Revelstoke B.C. Instead of following traditional scholarly path (getting a grown up job), she started a free ski club for kids. 3 years later she is living in Whistler, skiing everyday. Exactly where she wants to be. I asked her to give me a rundown of what she does to prepare for a good day of skiing and this is what she had to say:

Day after day of charging on your skis can take its toll on your body if your not careful. To make sure I’m always reset for the next pow day I try to make sure I give my body what it needs to perform and recover. I never skip breakfast, and start every day with a big bowl of oatmeal, berries and hemp hearts, or toast, almond butter, and a banana. A giant mug of chai tea is always in my hand as I drive to the ski hill in the morning. 

I find if I stop for a big meal mid day I get lethargic and cold, so I try to keep lots of high energy snacks stashed in my pockets so I don’t forget to eat when the snow is too good to go in to the lodge. Homemade granola bars and cookies, dried fruit, Lara bars and almonds are my faves and way healthier and cheaper than buying food at the ski hill.

My water bottle is always in my backpack but colder days sometimes make it hard to drink enough water so I bring tea bags along with my snacks and just fill up a mug with hot water if I go in to the lodge for a quick break. 

The occasional après dance sesh or hot tub poach are good for recovery and flushing lactic acid from your legs but my daily post ski day rituals include a good leg and back stretch, lots more water, a big dinner and a weather check for the next day. 

Eat, Ski, Sleep, Repeat!  



She's so cool. Obvi.
http://www.izzylynch.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment