Thursday, January 27, 2011

Kristen's Korner!

I once read some place, “The winters will drive you crazy until you learn to get out into them.” Running has always been a person favorite activity for me. I love everything about running-the technique, the characteristic it requires/builds (e.g. perseverance, endurance, and discipline), and last but not least, the endorphin rush at the end of a run. For some reason though, this winter season I found it hard to get out for that winter run. Perhaps it was the run in the dark that did not appeal to me much; perhaps it was something else. Whatever it was, I felt the need to try a new winter sport. And thus the desire to take up cross-country skiing was developed.

Two winters ago was the first time I tried cross-country skiing. A few of my friends took me out to Elk Island Provincial Park for a day ski. I’m not going to lie, it was not the greatest time in my life. A whole day of skiing is a long time for a beginner. After borrowing a friends skies a few times last year, I decided that this was the year to invest into a pair of my own skies. Thanks to Santa Clause this Christmas, I got the very pair of skies I wanted. As many outdoor Canadian enthusiasts know, you need to wear the right clothing in order to enjoy the cold winter days/nights.

So here I am. I just checked the weather and it is +2. I have never skied in such warm weather. The question I always have when I am about to head outside is what should I wear? My Run: Outward Bound pants are a must. They are my favorite pants in all of Lululemon right now. On my top, I am wearing my running luon long sleeve shirt. The jacket I have been dying to trying out is the Run: Outward Bound jacket, the insulated running jacket at Lululemon. Even though the jacket was designed for a runner, I am convinced it will be a fantastic cross-country skiing jacket. Only time will tell. I just have to wax my skies and off I go!

I just got back from an hour ski and it was amazing! My boyfriend, Rob, and I went to Emily Murphy Park and skied to Hawrelak Park and back. The Run: Outward pants, running luon long sleeve shirt, and the Run: Outward Bound jacket were terrific garments to wear for this activity. I was toasty warm throughout the whole ski. I got Rob to take a picture of me and was impressed by how much reflective ribbing my outfit had on it (See photo). All in all it was a fantastic time in the outdoors doing an activity I love, in great clothing and with a great guy. I can’t wait to get back out!
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment